Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lab 2

Jon Krakauer's Facebook

Chuck Klosterman's Twitter


Chuck tends to post locations and times of his readings and there are plenty of retweets from other users. I think that this is a colloquial way of interacting with his followers. It's nice that he takes the time to respond to people who may or may not be other non-fiction writers who are fans of his work, because he's often @ing users and saying "thanks man". I scroll past these tweets, but I think that they're necessary, and how else would he quickly thank people for kind words? His style of tweeting works for me and I really enjoy what he has to say. It helps when you're clever and funny and can fit your sense of humor in 140 characters.

Krakauer's Facebook is probably not run by him, but one of his PR people. So getting past that, his facebook is a lot of links to his work on Byliner or articles people have written about him. It's nice to be able find excerpts of his work, interviews, and articles so readily. It's almost an archive rather than a personal facebook page, but it's helpful that he makes them available to his followers. It's kind of self indulgent to include your own quotes all over your Facebook page, so that doesn't really work for me. I think it's a pretty impersonal form of social media for non-fiction writers. There are NO status updates, only links to take you away from his facebook page to other pages that are relevant to him. His facebook page doesn't work for me, even though I love the pictures of him at the Magic Bus.

I don't think either of their pages is overbearing or "too-much", but I think that twitter is more successful for writers to interact with their readers than facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment